Thursday, June 18, 2009

We have liftoff

By Larry Young
Houston Chronicle intern

As I exited the elevator and walked onto the ninth floor of the Houston Chronicle building on the first day of my internship, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’d thought I might be doing mostly writing, probably on one beat, but after meeting with my sports editor, Carlton Thompson, I found out that this summer will entail a multitude of assignments.

I’ve only been here a little over a week and so far, I’ve shadowed the Astros beat writer as he worked the clubhouse and batting practice before the game, and fielded post game interviews. I’ve also been to Texans OTAs with Chronicle reporter John McClain and shot video of him interviewing players and coaches. I’ve also attended a press conference for Tristar (a Houston-based sports memorabilia business), promoting upcoming signings.

That’s not all. I’ve also covered Shad Ireland, a Minnesota Ironman who’s been on dialysis since his kidneys failed at age 10. My story about him, published June 12, was my first at the Chronicle.

But No. 1 on the list of what I do this summer is being present at every budget meeting and providing feedback on what should run on page one. This has been the aspect of the internship I’ve valued most. Never has my opinion been considered in this capacity.

So what I’ve found at the Chronicle is there’s a warm, comforting staff that’s focusing not only on ensuring that my stay in Houston is comfortable, but also in fostering my growth as a journalist. I’ve appreciated every second and look forward to the weeks ahead. The ladder is the reason I’m here.

No comments:

Post a Comment