Thursday, June 4, 2009

Maddon on wheels

By Anica Wong

Joe Maddon, manager of the Tampa Bay Rays, is an avid cycling fan. He rides a hybrid Trek 7700FX, which starts around $800.

“You sweat a lot,” he said, laughing. “I love it.”

I forgot to ask him if he wears compression shorts.

In 2008, Maddon’s hobby was documented in the New York Times. At the time, he was the bench coach for the Anaheim Angels. In the article, he said he dismantled his mountain bike before road trips and reassembled it once he arrived at his destination city.

I have something in common with Maddon; we both get excited about cycling. I talked with him at length before Wednesday night’s game against Kansas City.

Maddon told me that he was able to get out for a ride earlier that day along the Bayshore path—I was jealous.

“I got to see a manatee and several dolphins,” he said.

Oh, and Maddon apparently has a chain that needs a little oil. He said he is going to drop his bike off for a tune-up while the Rays are in New York this weekend. Good to know he gives his bike some lovin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment